L2 Service Desk Specialist
Job Title: L2 Service Desk Specialist
Department / Reporting To: Service Operations Manager, Support Services
FLSA Status (exempt, non-exempt): Non-Exempt
L2 Service Desk Specialists utilize several skills to provide all-star customer support to our clients. They are responsible for handling second level service support requests with foresight, confidence, empathy, and charm. Candidates should possess the ability to think fast on their feet, a willingness to help others, and the ability to take internal coaching and client frustrations in stride.
Much of the L2 Service Desk Specialist role and responsibilities revolve around supporting inbound client phone calls/emails and handling support for:
- Technical issues involving Microsoft's full suite of business applications and operating systems
- Advanced hardware and software support; maintenance and updates for desktops, printers, and mobile devices
- General hardware and software support for servers, firewalls, switches, and wireless access points
- Logging client issues correctly in our ticket management system
Other responsibilities may include, but not limited to:
- On-site staffing and/or on-site assistance acting as a team with junior and senior technicians to resolve issues
- Advanced workstation setup and configuration
- Project assistance
- Facilitation of new user setups and orientations
- Documentation and procedure writing and review
Because of the breadth of technologies Applied Tech supports, L2 Service Desk Specialists are expected to have proficiency in the majority of the following technologies:
- Windows and/or Apple operating systems
- Microsoft Exchange (On-Premise and Online)
- Hypervisor technology (Hyper-V and VMware)
- General understanding of networking including DNS, DHCP, TCP/IP
- Microsoft Server technologies including Active Directory, File/Folder Permissions, Print Management, Remote Desktop, etc.
Our service team supports clients Monday through Friday from 7am - 5:30pm CDST, and L2 Service Desk Specialists may be asked to work 1 of 3 shifts to help cover availability during those times. Typical work weeks do not exceed 40 hours.
L2 Service Desk Specialists share on-call responsibilities to provide continuity of support to our clients after hours. On-call rotations are generally once a quarter for a week (Monday-Monday).
This position is metric-driven and key performance indicators include utilization, average case/conversation durations, and total case/conversation completions.
Applied Tech strives for excellence in all we do, and a part of that is continuous skills development. L2 Service Desk Specialists should be prepared to further their skill sets by focusing on a handful of various industry-driven certifications such as Server 2016 MCSA, Office365 MCSA, Cisco CCNA, and others.
This is a full-time position that offers benefits such as paid time off, health/dental/vision insurance, Simple IRA, and more.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as requested to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Most of the support we provide is remote, and you'll be asked to interact with computers daily for extended periods of time. This could be standing or sitting but could be up to 8 hours a day or more. There are situations where you may also need to travel to a client site to continue troubleshooting or during hardware deployments, so the ability to travel legally and safely is a must. We also work with physical hardware including workstations, printers, servers, and more; you will need the ability to lift and move up to 40 pounds on an occasional basis.
Why Applied Tech?
Applied Tech was founded in 1999 to help small- to medium-sized organizations in central and south-central Wisconsin get the most out of their business technology. Over the years, Applied Tech evolved from providing technical services to small departments at the UW-Madison campus to being named one of InBusiness Top Three IT Services Providers and IT Training Companies in Dane County!
We are a fun and fast-growing company with a people-first culture. Heres why Applied Tech may be the perfect next step for you:
- Culture: promoting personal growth, independence, and teamwork.
- Executive Team: a savvy team with deep market experience.
- Customers: leading companies that rely on our services so they can focus on their business.
- Investors: our superb and supportive board is comprised of industry veterans with a personal stake in the success of the company.
Our team is made up of veteran entrepreneurs, brilliant technical minds, and tried-and-true professionals dedicated to the success of the business and our community. Whats left to add? You.